Monday, June 1, 2009

The Act of Kindness

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop, Greek author of fables

I don’t know about you, but when people are kind to me, I can’t help but feel better and more alive. Even if it’s just something little like a smile, can be huge if I’ve had a bad day. It’s like opening the door for someone when their arms are full or letting someone cut in front of you in the grocery line because they clearly are in a hurry or they have only a couple of items to your 20. When we are kind to people we come in contact with, the cycle begins to spread. Traffic is the worst. I have to remind myself that it’s okay to let someone in when the traffic is stringing dozens of cars back. Being kind spreads the rewards. We don’t know if that person we just smiled at or lent a helping hand to wasn’t having the worst day of their life, and our act of kindness, though small, changed the direction of their day. I intend to increase the kindnesses I can do for others on a daily basis. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment