Thursday, March 25, 2010

Let Go, Let It Flow

Yes, I’m still working on that novel I started this last November for NaNoWriMo. I finally got through the worst of the battle scene and am now wrapping up that chapter. That was a tough section to write. Actually, I don’t know that ‘write’ is a very good definition of what I accomplished there.

Maybe a better word would be ‘dumped’.

This section has no energy, no real intensity, and very little to redeem itself. I had absolutely no epiphanies or enlightened moments. It was simply an arduous daily task to pound out. All I can hope for is that when it comes time to revise, I will finally get some sort of inspiration to make this section become fulfilled.

The nice thing I discovered through writing this particular piece is that I don’t have to make it perfect the first time. In fact, it is better that I don’t. So, I'm okay the battle is less than perfect.

My writing skills in all of the areas that I write took a huge leap forward when I discovered the enormous merits of just putting everything down and revise it to the piece it should finally be. It allows so much more to work with and makes the piece more rounded and effective.

By putting down all of my thoughts and ideas as I go, I open myself and the story up to all it can possibly be. In other words, I’m not limiting the story, but allowing the story to drive the writing. In allowing the story to be the master, I’m not controlling the ebb and flow or the final outcome. I actually am surprised by what shows up on the page.

This is what makes writing so addictive.

The other novel I was working on before November, I was definitely the one in control. It’s plain to see. In that piece, I was trying to write it perfect the first time.

This is so stupid.

It’s also being very narrow-minded.

The reason I say this, is all you have to do is look at the word count. In not allowing the story to have its say, the story is short, stilted, and doesn’t explore all the areas that make a story so compelling. Now, I’m not saying the one I’m working on now is compelling, but it has a whole lot more potential than the first one. When I’m done with this first draft, it will be set aside and let to rest for a while.

During that time, I will go back to the first story and try to write a second draft that is more like a first draft. I really hope I can make that happen, as I really believe the story has a lot of merit and needs to be told. I just have to let it do the telling, not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment