Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Journaling – Does it work for you?

Much as I try to journal my thoughts or experiences, I just can’t seem to be consistent with it. The only time I was able to do it on a regular basis was when I was in counseling during a particularly difficult time in my life. My counselor/pastor used it as a way to get me to identify and verbalize my feelings and thoughts. I was so used to hiding and putting them away, that I had lost the ability to even think. Journaling enabled me to rediscover who I had shut away.

Currently, journaling for me seems to be tied to a form of self-therapy instead of what many people use it for, as a way to chronicle experiences and thoughts, which may still be tied somewhat to self therapy, but maybe not as much. I have a deep respect for those who make this a daily or regular practice. Much as I try to make it part of my writing life, it just always seems to get pushed aside for a story. I guess that is why I don’t do it except when I’m in duress.

As I reflect on various occurrences in my life or with my family, it would be fantastic to have something in writing, instead of trying to rely on my memories which are often faulty. Journaling would give a record of sorts to at least the special things that happen, such as the birth of my daughters or my grandson. Descriptions of people, emotions, the environment and more can lend special texture to the experience that fades over time like an old photograph.

So, if you are one of the amazing people who journal, know that I for one am deeply in awe of you. You create a special record of thoughts and events which are important. Maybe, not on the scale of Anne Frank, but who knows? Even she had no clue how important her journaling would be. The right events can lead to something special in writing. Regardless, keep up the good work. You are writing history, even if it is just your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment