Monday, December 28, 2009

Opportunities

“If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.” – Milton Berle, comic

This last year has been a difficult one for almost everyone, at least on some level. Economically, professionally, personally, or a combination thereof, it has left few unscathed. I, too, am looking forward to a year with a little more light.

The start of a new year has always seemed a good time to embark on a new plan. Many people use it as the jumping point to quit doing something like smoking or eating unhealthy foods. But, this is also a really good time to open doors of opportunity, whether it be a new job, a new house, or whatever.

Now, don’t go scoffing at me quite so quickly. One of the best ways to look for opportunities is to sit quietly and make a list of what you have. Include even what you might consider “given” or obvious things, such us a roof over your head and food. Many people struggle for these important items. Even if all you can say is that you are alive, that is important. Everything can go “Up” from there. Really.

Next, look at what your obstacles may be. This may include things like pride, lack of organizational or time management skills, transportation or appropriate clothes.

For me, one of my goals this next year is to get my freelance writing on more stable ground. This will mean I will have to set aside certain time in the evenings and some weekend time to query magazines and websites for articles that I can submit. I would also like to have at least one of my novels in a finished state where I can start looking for an agent. These all require me to build doors of opportunity by identifying any hurdles and finding ways to leverage them in my favor.

Develop a detailed plan of how to reach your goal. Let people know what you are doing, as often they will help you and support you to achieve. As you complete a step or point, mark it off so you can see your forward progress. If you need to see more completions, break down each step into smaller ones, so that you can really get the positive rewards as you move towards your intended goal. Make your plan work for you. If it’s not working, find out what is the hang up and change it so it does. The most important thing is to believe in your goal and in yourself. You can do it. Just make your steps small enough so you can keep climbing.

Let me know how you are doing and we’ll walk together.

No comments:

Post a Comment