Thursday, January 28, 2010

Rain

I love the rain. It gives me a reasonable excuse to write and read without concern about what needs to be done outside. The sound of it coming down on our solarium windows is soothing in its rhythmic tapping. It creates a special ambience which nurtures my muse while I work on the numerous projects that need my attention. My husband feels it helps the fish grow, though I think that’s because more of the fisherman stay home – at least the fair weather ones.

The trees have started to put on new growth, their lime green freshness sprouting forth in heightened anticipation of warmer weather and longer days. The elk herd that enjoys the field behind our house have lost all their antlers, making it difficult to tell them apart. Soon, the babies will appear and a new generation will learn their ways.

I am in no hurry for the weather to change, though to most that may seem almost sacrilegious. I enjoy sitting near the fireplace as it burns quietly, giving off its warmth and allowing the sound of the rain to transport me to those other places that come from just relaxing in the presence of winter days.

What do you do to make the most of your winter days?

No comments:

Post a Comment