Friday, May 8, 2009

Friends

I am very fortunate to have a special group of friends. Regardless of how traumatic a situation is or may seem, this group closes ranks around her, supporting her in a multitude of ways. I have not only been the recipient of this support, but have been honored to give it. We must never underestimate the incredible support our friends can give us during difficult times.

How often do we find ourselves shutting down when something happens in our lives? We tell ourselves we don’t want to bother others by our problems. What we fail to see is it is an honor to give to those around us, whether it’s deemed trivial or too personal. It makes each of us stronger and helps us grow as individuals, which we can’t do unless given the opportunity. Our relationships become more special when we walk hand-in-hand through dark times together.

When we encounter life’s difficulties, our personal perceptions can become skewed. When we allow others into the situation, we get (relatively) unbiased perceptions, which can give us a better perspective upon which to base decisions. I, for one, have a strong tendency to make emotional decisions, if I am unable to stand back to make more logical ones. The “heat of the moment” sorely tempts me to make poor choices based on emotion. Without the more solid guidance of my steady friends, I could end up in a world of hurt.

I wish to thank my sweet friends for being that sound voice. I also thank my friends for allowing me into their lives to be their sound voice and the shoulder to lean on, as we walk hand-in-hand over the hills and into the valleys and back out, again. It is the encouragement and caring spirits of our friends which gives us courage to mount an attack on defeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment