Monday, May 4, 2009

Golden Nuggets and Silver Linings

People are amazing, when we just listen. Once I stopped being so self-centered and absorbed, I was amazed to find how much I could learn from those around me and from the people I encountered on my life’s journey. Each of us has accumulated a vast amount of knowledge, but it is wrong to think we know it all.

A few years ago, I decided to go back to school to finish my Bachelor degrees in Business and Marketing. Many of my fellow classmates came from large corporations such as Intel, Hewlett Packard, Nike, and Columbia. Other’s, like myself, either worked for smaller organizations or was self-employed. Each of these people had a different set of experiences, knowledge, and life history from my own. Everyone would share something special or pertinent in the class – I call them Golden Nuggets – and I felt like I was mining for gold. What a wealth of information could be garnered if you were willing to listen and take it in.

Even though some things were not useful or positive, something could be learned even from that. You will find the silver lining if you are willing to look for it. Sometimes those silver linings come after the fact, like after my first marriage. The key is to look for it. You won’t find it, otherwise.

Look for your golden nuggets and silver linings. You will be richer because of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment