Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Time For Time

I read an article the other day that started out talking about how quickly time is passing by. If we think that our hours or days or years are running away from us, they probably are. However, the article went on to say that if you are experiencing this, you are probably not very organized with your time. Now, that may be the case for some people, but I and my co-workers agree that it is not a case of organizational skills that is needed, but time. As the economy continues in the current state, and jobs are either being eliminated or cut back, those of us left behind are forced to pick up the work not being done. The article stated that if one is too busy, then they should delegate the work to someone else, but that is impossible when there is no one to pass the work on to.

I think many of us would agree that our lives have more options than we know what to do with. Though some things could be time saving, many are not. Or, something I have noticed recently, if I string enough “time-saving” things together, I theoretically get more done. Reality shows, however, that I may be able to do more, but I lose quality. Take fast food, for instance. Fast food tastes okay, but lacks quality and nutritional value. We do that sometimes with the work we do. We have so many deadlines and things that must get done, many things lose the quality that is necessary.

Maybe, to a small degree, the article was correct regarding some of our time management. But, instead of delegating, maybe we need to step back and reevaluate our work or lives and prioritize those things that require time and quality and those that do not. Possibly, that’s where our organizational skills can come into play. Granted, that too requires time, but possibly could be beneficial to our feeling of accomplishment and well-being. Let me know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment