Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Stop procrastinating

You can't escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today. - Abraham Lincoln, U.S. President

Our home office has become a catch-all for everything that doesn’t have a ready home or we need to file. Receipts, gift bags, bills, our grandson’s toys, extra gifts, and books are all over the place. It’s also where my jewelry-making supplies are located. What a mess. I keep telling myself I have got to get in there and get it straightened out. But, there are always other things that need to be done. Like write. Right?

Well, no. Every time I look into that room or have to go in, I feel overwhelmed by the magnitude of the disaster awaiting me. However, I need to take my own advice and make the job smaller, therefore more manageable. My oldest daughter stopped by to pick up a couple of things and wanted a couple of music CD’s to take with her on their day trip. I had to burn a copy of one, so while I was waiting, I started organizing. I’m a long ways from being done, but I accomplished a lot just in the short time I was in there.

I notice when I procrastinate on things like that, it infiltrates my subconscious and conscious mind which takes away from my focus, especially when I’m writing. It’s like when the floor needs vacuumed and you can see it staring at you while you look at the screen. Frustrating, to say the least. Often, these annoyances can actually be taken care of in just a few minutes. Once it’s done, I don’t think about it anymore. Of course, there are some things that can and sometimes should wait for a more opportune moment, but if it’s interfering in something more important, stop procrastinating and “Git ‘er done!”

No comments:

Post a Comment